DIY Cold & Flu Remedy For The Whole Family - Elderberry Syrup
Many people consider the elderberry plant to be one of the most powerful herbal medicines for preventing and treating colds and influenza due to it antiviral properties. Numerous clinical studies had validated these claims with cold and flu like symptoms being relieved on average 4 days earlier in those receiving elderberry extract compared with those receiving a placebo. Elderberry extract seems to offer an efficient, safe and cost-effective treatment for influenza, however store-bought elder berry syrup can set you back $45 and that’s only for 200ml… Homemade elder berry syrup has no added preservatives and makes double the amount for the same price!
If your not one for a DIY project you can purchase one of our amazing Natural Cold and Flu Packs from our website. Designed to Boost your Immune system, Speed up your recovery and Alleviate your Stuffy nose and Irritating cough.
- 2/3 cup dried elderberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup honey (raw and local is best)
- 2/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Simmer berries, spices (if desired) and water in a sauce pot, stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced by half. This should take around 45 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar.
- Strain liquid into bowl and discard elderberries. This works best using something like a fine mesh strainer, coffee filter, sheer curtain, or fine cheesecloth.
- Mix in honey
- Pour into clean glass jar and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Standard Dose for Cold and Flu Prevention: 1 tsp daily for kids and 1 tbsp daily for adults If sick, take the above dose every 2-3 hours as needed.